Thursday, January 14, 2010

to the earthquake victims of haiti

Today my thoughts go to the victims of the earthquake in Haiti. We know that the situation is bad but it will take some time until it is clear how big the impact of the natural disaster really is. The world has gotten better at predicting natural disasters and therefore preventing the impact of them on societies. The problem with earthquakes however, is that there is no way to really predict them. That is why it is very important with the immediate response of aid actions after it happens. Since Haiti is an already troubled and poor country they rely on the international society to help. Hopefully the countries have learned from previous natural disasters and have a better plan now to act swiftly.
 
I got an email today from Médecins Sans Frontières/Doctors Without Borders/Läkare Utan Gränser with an update about the situation in Haiti. I got this email since I have a standing, monthly donation to the organization and have had for years. Even so I decided to give another 100 SEK (10 Euros) to their emergency fund because it is such a small amount for me, but makes a difference for them. It is the least I can do.

I hope that more people will take action and just give a little something and not just read about it and then continue with their normal, easy lives. If donating to the Swedish organization of MSF, you can give as little as 25 SEK, just skip the next bag of candy or soda and you are even. Or just pick another organization of your choice that suits you better. 

For Sweden, I know we will never get close to the amounts donated after the tsunami in 2004. It is ridiculous that people of your own nationality have to be affected in order to give you sympathy enough to donate. I hope you could prove me wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment