Tuesday, July 28, 2009

voice mail

I had the alarm on my phone this morning just because I did not feel like wasting the whole day. And since I kind of ended up in bed quite late I decided to do it this way, otherwise who knows when I would have woken up.

My phone rang, or the song since I have a song as an alarm signal. Being really tired, and the volume disturbingly high when being really tired, I just pressed a button on the phone to make it stop. Make it stop as soon as possible.

One second later I realize: hey wait a minute, that is not my alarm ringtone. That is my normal ringtone. Crap, I just pressed away someones call. Sure, if it was just any other day I would not have cared because who calls that frickin early (it was not really early but anyway...). But I expected a call. From the guy from the recruitment firm my beloved former employer is paying for. Damn.

I am lying in my bed deciding what to do for some seconds. I should go up and call him. Then I get a text message saying I have a message in my voice mail. In the text message there is a phone number for the voice mail so I just press it to call. Then I hear the oddest message (in Swedish): 'Yes this is Gustaf. Hello? Hello? Hello?'. Is this man stupid or what? is my thought, did he not hear that he recieved the voice mail? I know Danish can be tricky (I do not have a personalized voice mail message) but come on, it must be obvious that you reached voice mail. He then hangs up. He finally realized it, I think.

Then it hits me. For crying out loud. I did not call voice mail. The phone number in the text message was Gustaf's phone number and NOT the number to voice mail. Damn.

Now I am wide awake. In a sense, but my head is still up in the clouds somewhere trying to realize what just happened. So I run down the stairs to get hold of a phone and I call Gustaf from the land line. And it was okey. It felt okey. Because what can you do? It is not like I was going to excuse myself and start telling him all kinds of excuses or stories of what happened. Better just to let it go and act as if nothing happened and that the connection was bad on my cell phone.

It is funny what you can do when you are sleeping, half asleep, or barely awake.

No comments:

Post a Comment