Tuesday, October 21, 2008

english please

I realized something this weekend. Something strange.

I was invited to dinner at my Danish friends place and he had also invited some of his Danish friends. They all talked Danish and I thought it could be an opportunity to get used to hearing Danish. I realized how bad I was at understanding Danish. I think I understood about every third word when some of them spoke, one guy I hardly understood at all. Thankfully we switched to English in the end. Otherwise it would have been a quite boring evening on my behalf.

I came to the conclusion that I understand Finnish better than Danish. That either tells me that I am better than I thought at Finnish or really, really bad at Danish. I go for the latter alternativ.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Caren! I liked reading your blog. I am going to move to Denmark at the end of the year. My husband is Danish, so we will move to his country. I hope i will be able to learn danish and get friends as well. Slightly scared.

    ReplyDelete