Friday, September 25, 2009

i did not know doctors could be nice

Today I have some reflections about the Swedish health care. I have through all my life gone to Vårdcentralen for health care which is run by the government. A few years back however, the rules changed and now you can get the normal health care from private practices. So the other day I was checking out where I could get my vaccination shot and found out a place in Arlanda that did this, a private practice.

Me and my mom went there and we both signed in to have this new practice as our husläkare (family doctor, the doctor and practice you visit whenever you get sick). I was called into a room by the nurse and then the man came that was going to give me the shot. He was quite young, entered the room in a pair of blue jeans and a white short sleeved shirt with a name tag on. He started talking and was very nice and even made jokes, several of them. Very nice people.

Here is the kicker: I was surprised by how nice they were. You get surprised when a nurse or doctor is actually talkative and nice. Why is that? Well, because I am used to my previous family doctor who never said anything expect from the necessary. Neither were they always that helpful, fast, or on time even though you had an appointment. What does this tell you about the public practices?

It is sad. That you get surprised when you meat a friendly nurse or doctor. I am glad I have switched, now it will not always be unpleasant to visit the doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment