Thursday, August 27, 2009

an interesting brit

Gustaf gave me some homework last time. Everyday I have to write down things about people I meet. First, I need to write down what I think about a person I meet. Second, I have to write down something interesting about one person I see or meet. Today is the first day I can truly write something about a new person I meet that I found interesting.

It is the first time I met him but I know about him through common friends. With a charming accent, being from Great Britain, I got fascinated by his lifestyle. Of which I of course do not know much about and I do not know his story. But it seems he has the money without being the typical ‘rich person’, very down to earth. What I got fascinated about was the way he appeared and what he has done. (I am always the young one in this gang being about 6-7 years younger.) Somehow I guess, I wish I could just do that as well, go for a round the world trip for a whole year by myself. Experiencing the continents, cultures, and people. Enjoying life. Moving around and taking it a bit as it comes. I wish I could just rent a van, get to know some people that could tag along, and drive through Australia.

Sure, I am still young and all. But I still have this hesitance for certain things. I have no trouble moving around to new places all by myself. But sometimes when it comes to traveling by myself, I can feel this fear of being by myself. I would like to be impulsive and unafraid but still I am this person who needs some kind of control in all the uncertainty. Sometimes I still feel like this shy little girl from when I was 12. This guy, and others like him, motivates me to be more like the person I wish I was when it comes to certain things. I wish I could just challenge myself and do it, go out traveling for a month all by myself.

I doubt I will never meet him again. But if I do, I wish I would have a similar story to tell. How his story, like many others, inspired me to challenge myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment